Today, the benefits of cupping therapy are being rediscovered by people worldwide.
Finding a legitimate practitioner isn’t easy, but thankfully, there are a few decent courses available online to learn cupping therapy.
This article will give you all the information to choose the right course and learn cupping.
- 1. Professional Cupping Therapy & Massage by Lev Pigovat
- 2. Professional Cupping Therapy Massage Certificate Course by Mark Perren-Jones
- 3. Accredited Higher Diploma in Hijama Cupping Therapy Course by Manik Miah
- 4. Professional Cupping Therapy Massage Certificate Course by Mark Perren-JonesCupping
- 5. Cupping Massage Mastery – Cupping for Bodyworkers Using Silicone Cups by Morgan Sutherland
- 6. ACE Massage Cupping Therapy: Home Study – Full Course (MC-FC) with kit by Anita J. Shannon
- 7. ACE Massage Cupping or MediCupping by Anita J. Shannon
- 8. Massage Cupping: The Active Cup (WMC) by Anita Shannon
- 9. NAT Massage Cupping Certification Course – (18.5 CEUs) by Vicki Ramsdell and Stuart Hinds
- 10. Cupping Therapy: A Step-by-Step Approach by Leslie DeMatteo, MS, LMT
- 11. Facial Cupping for Beginners by Sakina Di Pace
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Can You Learn To Do Cupping at Home?
- How Much Should I Charge for Cupping?
- Does Cupping Need To Be Done by a Professional?
- Can You Do Cupping Therapy Anywhere?
- Who Shouldn’t Do Cupping?
- What Are the Dangers of Cupping?
- Can You Get a Blood Clot From Cupping?
- Is Dry Cupping Better or Wet Cupping?
- What Certifications Do You Need To Do Cupping?
- Can Anyone Do Cupping Therapy?
- Can Cupping Be Harmful?
1. Professional Cupping Therapy & Massage by Lev Pigovat
Learn the easiest and most effective cupping techniques with this comprehensive course by Lev Pigovat.
Lev Pigovat is a traditional Chinese medicine practitioner, teacher, and clinical supervisor.
His areas of expertise include Chinese medicine orthopedics, pain management, trauma rehabilitation, and modern techniques of alternative medicine.
Through 20 lectures and 1.5 hours of on-demand video content, Pigovat shares his expertise in cupping therapy.
He covers topics such as the history and theory behind the practice, practical tips and techniques that can be used for various conditions, contraindications to cupping therapy, and what to expect during and after a session.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Understand the history, theory, and rationale behind cupping therapy
- Identify the different types of cupping therapy and their indications
- Perform basic cupping techniques on different areas of the body
- Understand the contraindications of cupping therapy and how to avoid them
- Explain what clients can expect during and after a cupping session
What sets this course apart is its practical approach.
Pigovat doesn’t just cover the theory behind cupping therapy, he also provides students with opportunities to practice their learning.
The course includes several video demonstrations showing students how to properly perform cupping therapy techniques on different body areas. A certificate of completion is included with the course.
My opinion: This course covers all the essential information about cupping therapy and provides plenty of opportunities to practice cupping. It’s especially beneficial for massage therapists, acupuncturists, and other medical practitioners who deal primarily with orthopedics and pain management.
2. Professional Cupping Therapy Massage Certificate Course by Mark Perren-Jones
Best-selling massage instructor, remedial massage therapist, and acupuncturist Mark Perren-Jones teaches this professional cupping therapy course on Udemy.
Perren-Jones has over two decades of teaching experience in massage, aromatherapy, and acupuncture (see acupuncture courses here). In this cupping therapy course, he covers advanced cupping therapy massage techniques to help his students perform the treatment safely and effectively.
Students who complete the course will learn:
- A detailed introduction to cupping techniques, including advanced methods.
- About the different conditions and causes that may need to be addressed via cupping.
- Performing the technique without causing the distinctive circular bruising associated with cupping.
- Strengthening and stretching exercises for themselves and their clients
With over 3.5 hours of on-demand video content, this course is one of the most comprehensive cupping therapy courses available online.
All of Perren-Jones’s courses are accredited by the CTAA (Complementary Therapists Accredited Association).
His certified students are eligible to join the CTAA upon completion of the course and will receive benefits, including a professional certificate, access to discounted therapist practitioner insurance, and more.
My opinion: This course is easy to follow, well-structured, and effective. Perren-Jones is an experienced and knowledgeable instructor who communicates complex concepts in a way that is easy for beginners and experienced practitioners to understand.
3. Accredited Higher Diploma in Hijama Cupping Therapy Course by Manik Miah
Becoming a certified Hijama specialist is easy with this accredited higher diploma course offered by Manik Miah.
Miah is a highly experienced Hijama specialist and instructor who has been teaching and practicing for years. In this 7.5-hour-long course, Miah gives a comprehensive overview of Hijama cupping therapy.
By the end of the course, students will:
- Have a strong foundation in the theory and practice of Hijama
- Properly perform Hijama to cleanse and detoxify the body and use Hijama for specific conditions such as sciatic pain and paralysis
To qualify for the accredited diploma, students must have completed a full body-massage diploma course with certification in anatomy & physiology. The course includes a practical component, so students will practice what they’ve learned.
My opinion: This in-depth, comprehensive course will give students the skills and knowledge they need to become certified Hijama specialists. The course is well suited for anyone who wants to treat specific conditions like weight issues with Hijama
4. Professional Cupping Therapy Massage Certificate Course by Mark Perren-JonesCupping
As noted earlier, Mark Perren-Jones has a lot of experience and expertise in cupping therapy.
Perren-Jones goes above and beyond in this professional certificate course, one of the most comprehensive online cupping therapy courses.
What you will learn:
- Why you’re performing cupping and what condition it is targeting.
- Performing cupping.
- Supporting treatments that encourage healing, like home stretches and exercises.
This course is based on Perren-Jones’s unique system that he’s developed and refined over years of practice.
Like in his other udemy course, Perren-Jones reveals his technique of performing cupping therapy without leaving any big red circular marks that can be pretty unsightly.
My opinion: This comprehensive cupping therapy course introduces students to Perren-Jones’s complete system for cupping therapy. Health practitioners and anyone who wants to learn cupping therapy will benefit from the information and techniques taught in this course.
5. Cupping Massage Mastery – Cupping for Bodyworkers Using Silicone Cups by Morgan Sutherland
Cupping massage mastery is a hands-on course taught on skillshare by Morgan Sutherland.
Sutherland is a certified medical massage practitioner and self-published author who combines deep tissue work, cupping, and stretching to treat chronic pain and sports injuries.
In this course, Sutherland teaches students how to incorporate silicone cups in a modern adaptation of cupping therapy in an engaging manner.
Those who enroll in this course will learn:
- Over a dozen cupping massage techniques that provide fast relief from pain and loosen tight muscles
- Step-by-step cupping treatments for chronic pain and methodology taken from sports injury management to restore range of motion and improve performance.
- How to incorporate cupping into a massage session to benefit both the client and the therapist.
To master cupping for bodywork, Sutherland recommends that students practice the techniques on a friend or family member who is willing to be a guinea pig.
He also provides helpful tips, resources, and follow-along videos so students can practice their learning and get the most out of the course.
My opinion: This hands-on course provides students with the skills and knowledge they need to integrate cupping into their massage practice. The course is ideal for massage therapists and people working with chronic pain.
6. ACE Massage Cupping Therapy: Home Study – Full Course (MC-FC) with kit by Anita J. Shannon
ACE Massage Cupping Therapy: Home Study – Full Course (MC-FC) is an online course taught by Anita J. Shannon, a licensed massage therapist, cosmetologist, and 2011 Massage Therapy Hall of Famer.
In this intro-level course, Shannon introduces a style of cupping that uses traditional equipment in a modern way. There is a version with kit that includes all the cupping equipment you need.
Students who enroll in this course will:
- Learn about the history and benefits of cupping therapy
- Discover how to select the right cup size and type for each client
- Be able to properly position the cups on the body
- Understand how to use ACE Massage Cupping Therapy for specific conditions
Unlimited course access and the ability to learn at your own pace make this an ideal course for those who want to earn their cupping therapy certification from the comfort of their homes.
The certificate can be printed from home upon completion of the course.
My opinion: This online course covers the fundamentals of ACE Massage Cupping Therapy. Its convenience makes it perfect for those who want to learn at their own pace and earn their cupping therapy certification online.
7. ACE Massage Cupping or MediCupping by Anita J. Shannon
Another excellent course by Anita J. Shannon is ACE Massage Cupping or MediCupping.
In this course, Shannon takes students through a comprehensive course in ACE Massage Cupping or MediCupping.
She teaches them how to perform ACE Massage Cupping techniques using traditional manual cups or MediCupping techniques using a VacuTherapy machine.
Throughout the course, Shannon brings students to a modern style of cupping therapy to treat various conditions such as sciatica, arthritis, migraines, and more. She uses techniques like cellulite treatments, lymphatic drainage, and deep tissue release.
One thing that sets this course apart is that the techniques taught complement many health modalities, such as chiropractic, physical therapy, and massage. This versatility makes it an ideal course for those who want to learn how to use ACE Massage Cupping or MediCupping in their practice.
By the end of the course, students will:
- Be able to customize cupping treatments to accomplish a wide variety of techniques
- Understand how cupping therapy can be used to complement many health modalities
- Have learned real-world applications and techniques that can be used in massage therapy practice
- Earn their ACE Massage Cupping or MediCupping certificate
The course can be either a standalone course or part of a package with the entire ACE Massage Cupping course.
My opinion: The ACE Massage Cupping or MediCupping course introduces students to a modern style of cupping using traditional manual cups or MediCupping machines. It is perfect for those who want to learn valuable real-world applications of ancient cupping techniques.
8. Massage Cupping: The Active Cup (WMC) by Anita Shannon
Anita Shannon brings us an excellent cupping therapy course with Massage Cupping: The Active Cup (WMC). Here, she introduces a new method of cupping called “the active cup.”
Shannon teaches students how to use the cup as a bodywork tool with a cup that is moved on the body, known as an “active cup.”
This cupping is a departure from the traditional Stationary Cupping, where the cups are placed and left on the body.
The course addresses conditions described as “the fluid body and “the solid bloat” and how these can be addressed with cupping.
Shannon also combines the ideas of intuition and intention into “intentuition” and explains why therapists practicing cupping must possess this.
By the end of this course, students will:
- Learn the introduction to cupping therapy
- Be able to properly position the cups on the body
- Discover how to use an “active cup” for cupping therapy
- Understand the concepts of “the fluid body,” congestion, and “solid bloat.”
- Know how to apply cupping therapies to common conditions
- Have learned about “intentuition” and how it applies to cupping therapy
My opinion: Shannon’s Massage Cupping: The Active Cup (WMC) course is a unique and exciting approach to cupping therapy that focuses on using the cup as a bodywork tool. This course is convenient for those looking for a more modern approach to cupping therapy.
9. NAT Massage Cupping Certification Course – (18.5 CEUs) by Vicki Ramsdell and Stuart Hinds
Vicki Ramsdell and Stuart Hinds, two expert instructors in massage cupping, bring us this excellent course on NAT Massage Cupping.
With four core modules, Ramsdell and Hinds provide a comprehensive education in the practice of cupping therapy, its many benefits, and how to use it for specific conditions.
NAT Massage Cupping Certification Course is unique because it allows students to earn 18.5 CEUs (continuing education units). This makes it an ideal course for those who want to expand their knowledge in cupping therapy.
By the end of this course, students will:
- Learn the treatment techniques for various conditions that respond well to cupping
- Know how to properly apply cupping pressure
- Understand the contraindications of cupping therapy
- Understand vacuum cupping and static cupping methods
- Learn how to use cupping therapy for trigger points
Upon completion of the course, students will be required to sit for an exam to earn their certification.
There is no limit on how long it takes to complete the exam, and students have lifetime access to the course content.
My opinion: This comprehensive cupping therapy course is perfect for massage and manual therapists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, and others in the healthcare field.
10. Cupping Therapy: A Step-by-Step Approach by Leslie DeMatteo, MS, LMT
Leslie DeMatteo, a leading expert in the field of massage therapy, brings us her course on Cupping Therapy: A Step-by-Step Approach.
DeMatteo graduated from the Sarasota School of Massage Therapy and completed a certificate program in Nuad-Bo-Rarn: Traditional Massage of Thailand. She is well-versed in the art of cupping therapy.
In this course, DeMatteo provides a step-by-step approach to cupping therapy, examins disorders and sports injuries, and how cupping can be used to manage these conditions.
Students who take this course will:
- Understand the history, origins, and benefits of cupping therapy
- Review the TCM theoretical principles behind cupping therapy
- Learn the safety and contraindications of cupping therapy
- Understand the different types of cupping therapy
- Master the procedures and methods of cupping therapy
- Know how to apply cupping therapy for specific conditions
- Examine how cupping can be used in medical practice
My opinion: Leslie DeMatteo, MS, LMT, takes an in-depth approach to cupping therapy, covering a wide range of topics. This is an excellent course for those who not only want to learn cupping therapy but also want to understand the Traditional Chinese Medicine theory behind it.
11. Facial Cupping for Beginners by Sakina Di Pace
Sakina Di Pace brings her decade of acupuncture experience to this Facial Cupping course for Beginners.
In this course, she introduces students to the basics of facial cupping therapy, including its health benefits. By enrolling in this course, students will learn:
- How to boost collagen production
- How to stimulate the lymphatic system
- How to reduce fine lines and wrinkles
- The correlation between Chinese Medicine and facial cupping
- The difference between static cupping and dynamic cupping
- The cupping techniques that Sakina uses in her own practice
Sakina’s experience in acupuncture and passion for helping others shines through in her teaching, making this an enjoyable and informative course.
Key takeaway: As one of the few courses on facial cupping available, this course by Sakina Di Pace is a must-take for women interested in natural beauty, holistic therapies, and alternatives to Botox.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cupping courses are a great way to learn about this ancient therapy and how to apply it safely. The online courses I’ve listed here are great options to explore if you want to learn cupping online.
Tried these courses or any other cupping courses that you’ve liked? Tell me what you thought of them in the comments below!
- Greatist: Should You Give Cupping a Try?
- Natural Healers: Cupping Therapy: Training, Tuition, and Salary Opportunities
- Tangelo: CUPPING THERAPY: WHAT IS IT & HOW CAN IT HELP YOU?
- Mpls St Paul: Cupping Therapy: Your Top Ten Questions, Answered
- ScienceDirect: Cupping Therapy
- Empower Chiropractic + Acupuncture: CUPPING: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Cao, Huijuan, Xun Li, and Jianping Liu. “An updated review of the efficacy of cupping therapy.” PloS one 7.2 (2012): e31793.
Aboushanab, Tamer S., and Saud AlSanad. “Cupping therapy: an overview from a modern medicine perspective.” Journal of acupuncture and meridian studies 11.3 (2018): 83-87.
Cao, Huijuan, et al. “Clinical research evidence of cupping therapy in China: a systematic literature review.” BMC complementary and alternative medicine 10.1 (2010): 1-10.
Al-Bedah, Abdullah M., et al. “Assessing the effectiveness of using simulation in cupping therapy training course for undergraduate medical students. A study in Riyadh KSA.” Journal of Advances in Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences13.2 (2017): 1-7.
Top 12 Best Feng Shui Courses (Online)
In this article, you will find a list of the top 12 online Feng Shui courses so that you may choose the one that best suits your needs.
Top 10 Best Reflexology Courses (Online)
Reflexology is a fascinating and complex practice that you may study online and offline. Please read on to discover the top...
Top 11 Best Acupuncture Courses (Online)
If you cannot attend an acupuncture course in person, there are, thankfully, many online courses available. Acupuncture can be a very...